Saturday, June 14, 2008

Post Birthday Drama

Well, if it's not one thing, it's another! I woke up a little after 4:00 a.m. and noticed Brandon sitting on the side of the bed. I was not really awake when I saw him, so I quickly went back to sleep. At about 5:00 a.m. Brandon woke me up complaining about his stomach. He said that it felt like really intense heartburn and the pain was so deep, it went straight through to his back. I didn't even bother changing out of my pajamas before I headed out the door to the Walgreen's around the corner. I spoke with the pharmacist, who recommended a liquid antacid to give immediate relief and a pill to treat the source. I hurried home with my purchase and practically shoved the medicine down Brandon's throat! By the time I got home, not only was his heartburn worse, but he was nauseous on top of it! I force-fed him bread, but I didn't know what to do. He was able to sleep for a few minutes here and a few minutes there, but was in too much pain to really rest. I called around the ward to find someone to come give him a blessing (in the 3 years that we've been in our ward, we've never had Home Teachers) and I finally got a call back from the YM President. He and one of his counselors arrived a few minutes later and performed the blessing. As soon as they left, I hurried Brandon out the door to Urgent Care. There were only 3 people in line ahead of us, but it still took them over an hour to see him! When we finally got in, they checked everything and did x-rays, but found nothing. They gave him a shot of something to combat the nausea, which quickly took effect (he hadn't been able to keep the bread down). The doctor rattled off a list of things that this could be, but wasn't sure himself. He wound up writing him a prescription to take for 5 days and said that if it flares up like that again, to go to the hospital. We FINALLY got home at about 5:00 p.m. and I fed Brandon and tucked him in to rest while I went to pick up his medicine. Thankfully, he has been able to keep everything else down and the pain has subsided to a very dull ache. I just hope this is the end of this, because the very thought of going back to the hospital (after all he went through before) just makes me sick to my stomach. Please keep him in your thoughts and prayers. Thank you!

2 comments:

Marianne said...

We're really sorry to hear that he's not feeling well. I hope the medicine and blessing will be all he needs. Wish there was something we could do, hope y'all have a good night!

Anonymous said...

THAT IS AWFUL!
Good Job on asking for a blessing. You are such a good wife to him. Sleep well.