Friday, October 17, 2008

Jillian Jiggs!


Jillian Jillian Jillian Jiggs! It looks like your room has been lived in by pigs! I'll clean it, I promise. I promise it's true. I'll clean it, I promise, as soon as I'm through!

That was one of Jill's favorite books when she was a kid and it has turned into my favorite nickname for her. I used to love it when she read that story to me. I have a lot of great memories of growing up with Jill, that I think should be shared today, because it's her birthday!

Jill and I have completely different personalities, like night and day. We didn't always get along, especially when we were teenagers, but even through all of that, I've always thought of her as my very best friend. As kids, we would spend hours playing Barbies, paper dolls, and coloring together. As teenagers, she would do my make up for the stake dances and we would borrow each other's clothes (even though she was a full foot taller than me at the time). She was my fashion icon and my image consultant. She was my sparring partner and my confidante. Because of our closeness in age, we always shared a room. We had a day/trundle bed and when I pulled out my bed at night, it was so close to hers that we could stay up really late whispering, which we did almost every night. Before I could date, I lived vicariously through her, making her recount her entire evening for me as soon as she got home. She was the older, cooler sister with cool friends and always cool hair. I begged to tag along and forced my way into her circle of friends. I will be forever grateful that she accepted me into that circle and made me feel popular. Since we've grown up, we've grown closer. We live hundreds of miles away, but talk as frequently as we would if we were neighbors. We still have our differences, but we balance each other out, I think. I can always call her when I'm upset and she listens to me, consoling me. Her sensitivity and compassion are part of what makes her such a wonderful person. She has grown into such a beautiful, confidant, caring person and I still aspire to be like her. She always stands firm in her decisions and position on things. She never waivers, although she can admit when she's wrong. She has impeccable taste in everything. It shows in her home, her attire and, especially, her choice in spouse. She is loving wife and incredible mother. She has done an amazing job with her children. They are each (those that are old enough) well-spoken, well-mannered, disciplined, outgoing, intelligent, loving children. Not to mention, gorgeous! Sorry, Johnny, but they take after their mom! ;) Have I mentioned how beautiful Jill is? She could model, and did as a teenager. When I think of my relationship with my sister, I am overcome with gratitude for her and how she has touched my life. She has touched many lives (and I don't think she even knows it).

Jill, I love you so much and I hope you have a wonderful birthday!!!!

Now, enjoy some pictures of Jill throughout the years:

4 comments:

Jill said...

WOW Cari!! :) Thanks! I love it!! Is this your present for me? It's perfect!! You made my day! I love blogging!! :) And exclamation marks!! And smiley faces :) LOL

Melissa said...

What a great post. Jill is great. You're an awesome sister to honor her this way.

Alisa said...

Well, I don't know Jill but happ birthday anyway. But I do want to say to you Cari, is I just love your scarf in the wedding pic!! I want one. Haha! I am so mean I know! Sorry I could not resist.

Brandon and Cari (Sellers) Murdock said...

Alisa, you are such a brat! LOL! That scarf WAS awesome. Jealous much? lol