Saturday, October 25, 2008

Fall Festival 2008

Tonight was the Fall Festival at church, so we stayed up late last night carving our pumpkins to enter in the contest. We chose the Wizard of Oz as our theme. Brandon wanted to do the Scarecrow and I couldn't decide on just one, because I really wanted to do either the Cowardly Lion or the Tin Man, but we had to have Dorothy, so I decided to do two. I finally narrowed it down to Dorothy and the Tin Man, since he's so recognizable. As we were working on them last night, Brandon got kind of frustrated with how tedious a project it was, so I finished his for him. He has decided that from now on, he'll stick to cartoon characters, since he rocks at those. Either way, he did a great job and I think they all turned out really good. We entered them all as one, so we wouldn't be competing with each other, and we actually won the prize for Most Detailed. So, YAY us! We also made chili to enter in the chili cook-off, but we got there late and missed the judges tasting. However, ours was the first chili to be finished off and we got lots of compliments on it and complaints about the fact that we didn't win. We'll get 'em next year! Don't get your hopes up that I will be posting my chili recipe on our recipe blog, because I'm keeping that one under tight wraps for a while. I will, however, share my secret weapon below.

Before:

After:

Chili:

Wewease tha secwet weapon!!!! (ode to An American Tail!)

There was also a contest for the costumes. We didn't wear costumes this year, but there were some great ones there. There was a couple dressed as Sarah Palin and her Secret Service Agent and another dressed as Raggedy Ann and Andy. There was even a Mario with Princess Peach and their baby was a little mushroom! They were adorable! There was another family that dressed up as a pilot, flight attendant, and their little boy was an airplane. His costume was made out of a box and was so well done! I wish I had gotten a picture of him. Overall, I was very impressed with everyone's creativity. They all looked great!

The Seaman's:

The Parkinson's:
So, for those of you in the Ward that didn't go, you sure missed out! I can't wait for next year!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

amazing pumpkins!
share that recipe on the sellers sis blog asap :)
love the costume ideas :)

Sarah Lunt said...

so impressed w/ your pumpkin carving skills!

James and Amy said...

I love the pumpkins with a light in them. They looked great last night, but they look awesome with the light shining through in the dark! I'm sad I didn't get to taste your chili, bummer!

Marianne said...

Wow, good job with the pumpkins! Very nice!

Melissa said...

Once again I'm blown away by your artistic abilities . . . so was Justin. He kept asking, "They really carved those?" =) That chili looks yummy. I love fall!

Parkinson Family said...

Wow-your pumpkins really are amazing! We loved your spicy chili too! Thanks for the costume compliment! We're excited you guys moved into the ward!