Brandon forwarded an email to me last week about "Hypermiling". (let me know if you didn't get it, because I can still forward it to you) It was all about stretching your gas tank. It talks about not accelerating too fast, coasting whenever you can, and staying UNDER the speedlimit, on the freeway, especially. Well, I decided to test this theory and immediately put it into practice. It is AMAZING how well it works! I filled up last Tuesday (my gas tank holds under 12 gallons - Toyota Yaris) and had to drive to West Palm Beach to the airport twice, as well as to and from work, church and the store. I have gone almost 400 miles and still have almost a quarter of a tank. Impressive, huh?
A bonus to driving this way is the reaction I get from the other drivers. For those of you who have not heard me vent about the drivers here in South Florida..........They are CRAZY!!!! And RUDE!!! And DANGEROUS!!!!! I didn't have road rage before I moved here, but, apparently, it is contagious, because I have found myself riding people's bumpers and blocking people from changing lanes. Sounds mean, I know, but you kind of have to be that way here, because they will almost hit you trying to SQUEEZE in between you and the car in front of you. I call it Aggressively Defensive Driving. Well, these crazy, self-absorbed drivers HATE drivers that go the speed limit, let alone 2 miles under. It makes me laugh so hard when I see their frustrated faces pass me by. It has TOTALLY cured me of my aggressive, competitive driving style! It's like when I get mad at Brandon and he just laughs at me. It makes me even angrier and he laughs harder! I never understood why he did this until I stopped racing everyone and saw how mad they got at me. It's hilarious!! I let people pass me and get in front of me and kill them with kindness behind the wheel. I feel so good about it, because I am being nice to the nice drivers, ticking off the rude drivers, and getting brownie points for obeying the traffic laws. GO ME! So, I encourage all of you to jump on the bandwagon and help your pocketbook by stretching your gas tank.
1 comment:
is it you who fwd me the hypermiling thing? b/c jake and i watched the video and he has been implementing it ever since! it is driving me crazy at times b/c i think i think he is doing it wrong haha but i do it on the hills here :)
GO CARI!
Post a Comment