Saturday, May 24, 2008

Happy Birthday, Melissa!

Today is my sister, Melissa's birthday. I just wanted to take a moment to wish her a happy birthday and to let everyone out there know what a WONDERFUL sister, mother, friend, and person she is.

Melissa is the type of person that always has to be busy. She needs to feel productive and it is usually someone other than herself that reaps the benefits of that. She juggles so many projects, activities, and appointments that I don't see how she ever finds time for herself. Not only is she always giving service, she is also always giving support. She listens without judgment and offers help in any way she can. She is so devoted to her family and friends. She is so good about calling and checking in on us. I don't think she even realizes how much her phone calls mean to me. It can get very lonely being away from your family and only seeing them maybe once a year. Every time I see her number on my caller ID, it brightens my day. When I answer the phone, I always hear "Hello Gorgeous!"

When I was really little, Melissa went out of her way to help Mama with me. She and I have had such a close bond since I was a baby. I remember being about 4 and getting really mad. I must have gotten in trouble for something I did (I know, big surprise, right?). I was so angry that I decided to run away. I stalked into my bedroom and pulled out a backpack and began stuffing it with this and that. I strapped it on my back and marched out the front door. No one seemed to notice, so I kept going. As I walked away from the house, I began to think of my family. I thought of Melissa and how much I was going to miss her, especially. I started crying and turned around and went home. I went in the back door, into the den, and found Melissa. I remember her holding me and rocking back and forth in the rocking chair as, through my tears, I told her what had happened. She hugged me tight and told me that if I left, she would miss me too much, so I promised her I wouldn't run away again.

Melissa, I love you SO much and miss you! You are such a blessing in my life. I don't think you even know how wonderful you are. I hope you had a WONDERFUL birthday!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

melissa IS wonderful! thanks for sharing!!!

OneMooreFamily said...

WOW! Thanks Cari! (Any wonder why I doted on her?) I had a wonderful birthday and seeing your blog has made it even better! You are too kind and I can't wait to see the new gorgeous you!! Wish I could be there to hear you sing in church.

Perhaps you can record yourself singing and post it on YouTube! I miss you and thanks a million for being so wonderful. You always make me feel so special!

Sarah Lunt said...

Wow, Cari that was a really great post. Melissa is all those great things you said, she works so hard to be great at everything she does!

Can't wait to see your hair and hear how your solo went. That's sad that Brandon had to miss it. BTW, give us a call and let us know the lastest w/ work.

Luv ya!

Marianne said...

We all love Melissa. You just can't help it. That was a really sad story, though. I'm so glad we have so many sisters to help us at times like that.