Sunday, September 28, 2008

Maryland vs. Florida

Now that we are getting settled in and comfortable with our new surroundings, the differences between Maryland and Florida are really noticeable. I find myself having to change my expectations of the things you would least expect. For instance, I have a hard time getting used to how friendly people here are. (Let me point out that the drivers here are not much better than the ones in Florida, but out from behind the wheel is a different matter.) It still shocks me when people smile and say hi as they pass me in the aisle at the grocery store. I'm also trying to adjust to all of the trees. I love trees, mind you, but I'm just not used to seeing forests in the middle of cities. Lastly, while living in Florida I took for granted the fact that if it rained, all you had to do was wait five minutes and it would be sunny again. Here, when it rains, it pours...all...day....long. Don't get me wrong, I love a rainy day. It puts me in the mood to snuggle up in bed with a mug of hot chocolate and a good book. What I don't enjoy is having to go to the grocery store in the middle of a rainstorm. It doesn't help that it's only 60 degrees out (having not been out of Florida for very long, 60 degrees is still practically cold to me) and I have to wade through a river, which used to be the parking lot, to get in the store. All in all, we really love Maryland. It is a beautiful state, especially now that the leaves are changing colors, and the people here have been wonderful and made us feel really welcome. Who knows, maybe we'll become permanent residents.

3 comments:

Sarah Lunt said...

I can't believe it's getting cold there already...we're still in the low 80s to high 70s. Anyway, I bet you LOVE the fall there with all those tress. We'll be waiting for some pretty posts soon....
Can't wait for Turkey Day!
Love ya!

Anonymous said...

You think it is cold already?! Oh girlie just you wait until winter sets in. Have you ever experience ice covered with snow?
-Deborah

Anonymous said...

Sounds like fun!! lol