Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Our NASCAR Experience

We had a great time at the NASCAR race in Dover. It was definitely a unique experience. I did learn a few things, though. For instance, Northern Rednecks don't really sport the mullet. Their preference seems to be the mustache. Also, just like yawning is contagious, so is taking off your shirt. It seemed like as soon as one guy would remove his, three more followed suit. It was an all out epidemic! While I did have a good time overall, I have made the decision to boycott NASCAR until they ban smoking. I was fortunate enough to sit behind three chain smokers. You can imagine how pleasant that was. By the time I got home, my throat was sore from all the coughing (which I still haven't been able to shake). We were very fortunate, though, that at our first NASCAR race we had pit passes. So, before the race, we were allowed to walk on the track and watch the pit crews getting ready. We even got to see some of the drivers up close. Brandon thoroughly enjoyed the experience. I loved watching his expression throughout the day. It was so cute to see his face light up when the race finally began and see the goosebumps on his arms as the roar of the engines began. I think it must be a guy thing, as I was only affected by the smoke in my face, the deafening roar through my earplugs, and the sun beating down on me. I'm so glad the Brandon got to go, though. He describes it as a "once in a lifetime opportunity". I do too, but that's because I don't have any plans to go to another one.

I am actually standing on the finish line right here!


This line to get in is a whole hour before the race even started!


This is the first lap of the race. They used a pace truck instead of a pace car.


These are the final standings of the race. Keep in mind that 400 laps = 4 hours of sitting in the sun!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have been looking forward to this post!!!

you look super hot! and glad y'all got to go! I love to do things "just for the experience"

hey we may be in MD or VA (in two years) for Jake to do some Military training so if y'all are around ... haha I know that is forever away but I keep thinking of y'all!

Marianne said...

Very cool pics! I love your hat by the way. How fun to get a back stage pass! I guess you think you're pretty special now don't you!