Friday, April 18, 2008

Uncertain Times

So, as everyone is well aware, the economy is not looking too great right now. The residential building industry has definately suffered the most. I wouldn't be too concerned with that if that wasn't what was putting food on my table. Brandon has so many options with his education and talents, but he decided that this is what he truly enjoys doing. I think it's wonderful that he loves his job and looks forward to going to work every day, but I am seeing so many red flags that it has me wondering what the future holds. When we moved to Florida three years ago, the market was BOOMING! He was making a good salary and his bonus checks were practically doubling his salary. Those were the times... Anyway, things are completely different now. Bonuses have been completely cut. They are taking away his cell phone next week. They are moving out of their big office and everyone into a model home to cut costs and avoid paying rent. They've dissolved the divisions just north and south of his division and gotten rid of so many employees that what used to be a crew of over 200 people is now down to 23 and those 23 are doing the work of 3 divisions. Ever since things started going downhill, Brandon has been applying to builders all over the country, but no one wants to relocate him. Ironically, the #1 market in the country is Salt Lake City and the #2 is Beaumont/Port Arthur, TX and we have family in both places, but no such luck finding work there. Is it wrong for me to pray that he will just get laid off so that he will get 6 weeks severence that will pay for us to relocate ourselves? I would love to go back to Utah. We still have our house in Ogden and I am homesick for the mountains and seasons! Florida sounded like paradise, but once we moved here, our perception of the place quickly changed. The seasons don't change. The ground is flat. The people are rude and terrifying behind the wheel. I am not even a beach person. I used to LOVE to go hiking every week in Utah. I miss it so much. Therefore, any of you that live in Utah or have connections in the home building industry, HELP!!! Brandon has an Assoc. in Business Management, a Bachelors in Technical Sales and a Bachelors in Marketing. He is so qualified to do so many things. He has worked his way up to management and is such a hard worker. Plus, I just miss the mountains and the people and the Church and Brandon's family. I want to go home. Sorry I am babbling, but I just needed to get that off my chest. Thanks for listening (reading). : )

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

oh cari! i am so glad you were able to "vent"
i had no idea y'all still had your home in ogden! and pretty much i knew very little of all I just read.
y'all are in our prayers and I'll ask jake if he knows of anything...