Friday, January 30, 2009

Just Counting Our Blessings

We had a really close call this week. Brandon was called into his boss' office, where he was told that they were going to be doing lay offs. Fortunately, Brandon has been able to work hard and show his boss that he is a team player and an asset to the company, so he was spared. Sadly, there were many who were not, including his friend, Tim, who was the one that helped Brandon get the job in the first place. It really seems like a miracle that Brandon is still employed, especially considering his tenure. He's only been with the company for about 6 months, the shortest time of any of the employees. Many of the ones who lost their jobs had been there for several years. One man had been with the company for 15 years! I feel so bad for those that lost their jobs, but am SO grateful that Brandon has been allowed to keep his. Ironically, at the same time that this was going on, Mercedes Homes, the company Brandon used to work for, filed for bankruptcy. We've always thought that it was a small miracle that Brandon was offered this job up here before things starting getting really bad at his old job. We just keep seeing all these little signs that confirm that we made the right decision when we moved up here. Words cannot express our gratitude to the Lord for His help and guidance. I know that His hand was in all of this and I am humbled and thankful for that.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

such wonderful blessings for your family. thanks for sharing :)

Kitties & Cupcakes said...

I had seen in the paper that Mercedes was filing chapter 11. Very scary. I hope things continue to go well for you there. Everyone is on tip-toes right now. Hope you are surivin' all that snow! You are getting payback for all the years of sunshine you had instead. LOL! Love the pics of Dexter. We are off to Orlando again this weekend. -Lori

Unknown said...

Wow! I am so happy for you guys. I too continue to be grateful for Layne's job security. It's so nice to know you've done the right thing. :)

Cathi said...

Whew, what a relief. I'm glad to hear that it all went okay.

Sarah Lunt said...

Wow! Sorry to hear they had layoffs but very happy to hear that Brandon was spared. luvs, sarah

Parkinson Family said...

Wow-I'm so glad Brandon still has his job! It's funny how we don't realize what a blessing it is to have an income until you might lose it. I'm sure he's really great at what he does and am so glad he gets to stay! We're so happy you guys moved here!