Sunday, November 8, 2009

Ummm...Awkward...

I recently got a coupon for a free month at this really nice gym. The facility is brand new, the equipment is top of the line, the people are really friendly, and the membership fee is enough to make you sick, which is why I won't be joining at the end of the month, but I thought I should at least take advantage of a freebie. (Brandon has trained me well.) So, I cashed in my coupon last Monday and started my new workout regimen. Things have started off really well. My stamina is increasing. I'm feeling stronger. My overall self-image is already improving. And my quota for awdward moments has been met for the quarter. On Thursday when I got to the gym, I headed upstairs to the cardio floor and made a pit stop in the ladies' room before beginning my workout. One of the two stalls was occupied and emitting an unpleasant odor. Hoping to avoid the uncomfortable moment at the sink with the source of the smell, should we meet up there afterward, I rushed to take care of business and wash my hands, taking note of the wide, calloused, bare feet peeking under the stall next to mine. I knew those feet and the sounds coming from that stall would make for an even more uncomfortable meeting for both of us. In record time I made it to the sink and was just about to rinse the soap off when the other stall opened. I kept my eyes down, hurrying as quickly as I could to get my hands squeaky clean, feeling the eyes on my back. "Am I in the wrong room?" came the deep, bewildered voice of an elderly man - the source of my nasal discomfort. I raised my eyes in surprise, seeing him in the mirror in front of me. I nodded to him and whispered "Yup" in response to his question. I was so shocked to see a man in the woman's restroom that I could barely find my voice. I was suddenly even more motivated to finish and get out of there. As I turned off the sink and reached for the paper towels, he filled the silence with awkward conversation. "I thought this room looked different..." "I noticed there was a box on the wall that I'd never seen before..." "Sorry, I'm as blind as a bat without my glasses on..." I nodded politely, told him it was okay, and rushed out the door. As I was walking away from the restroom, I turned around to make sure it was him who was in the wrong place. Sure enough, printed in 2 foot bold letters above the door I had just exited was WOMEN. Whew!

10 comments:

Nate and Lori said...

Hilarious!!! Poor guy...wait, poor you!

Hartmans said...

so funny!

SHILLIG4FAMILY said...

haha
and well written!

Anonymous said...

HAHAHAHAHA!!! hOLY COW AKward!!!!

Anonymous said...

HI-LARI-OUS!!! I guess the best of us have an embarrassing potty story.

Deborah

Cathi said...

Ha! I'm just glad the sign said "women". Poor man.

Bloom Family said...

Ha, ha! That's funny Cari. I would have definitely looked to make sure I was in the right place too. :) Although awkward moments are, well, awkward, at least they make for good stories later.

Jennifer and Brett Hadley said...

OMG!! How funny!!

Anonymous said...

Too Funny!

Kayla and Joshua said...

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAH