Sunday, August 16, 2009

Out ya go!

Yeeerrrrrr outta there!!!

That's what we said to Brandon's gallbladder last Friday. He's been having problems with gallstones off and on for a while and it was getting to the point that we needed to get it taken care of. So, after several doctors' appointments and lots of bloodwork, Brandon was cleared for laproscopic surgery a few days before and Friday afternoon was chosen for the day he would have to say sayanara to his gallbladder.
We got him to Howard County Hospital's Ambulatory Center at 12:30 to sign in. His surgery was scheduled for 1:30, although his surgeon was an hour late, so the procedure didn't start till 2:30. I waited in the Surgical Family's Waiting Room while Brandon was prepped. I got to spend a few minutes with him before they drugged him up and took him away. We laughed and tried to make light of the situation, but we were both pretty nervous. After they administered the initial dose of anesthesia, I was sent back to the waiting room. I brought books, my iPod, yarn to start a new baby afghan for Brandon's brother, but none of my distractions were enough to make the time pass quickly or make me forget my worries. The procedure took about 2 hours and it seemed like an eternity. The surgeon came back and told me that it all went well and that Brandon did, in fact, have several large gallstones that seemed to be causing all the trouble. He was kind enough to escort to the recovery room to be with Brandon, who was just coming to. We had to wait around until about 6:00 before they would let me take him home. He was told to take it easy for the next couple of weeks, not eat any solid foods for the next 36 hours, and to take the pain killers as needed. I was anxious to get him home and let him rest in his own bed. He was groggy for the rest of the day, but has been a bit better the rest of the weekend. He still has a little trouble getting up, because of the pain from the four incisions (two on his right side, one inside his belly button, and a large one just below the sternum). He plans to go back to work tomorrow, but I keep reminding him not to overdo it. His plan is to give it a try and if he is in too much pain, he'll come home asap. The doctor said that since he has a desk job, he should be ok to go back, but he recommends taking a week off. However, I trust Brandon to listen to his body.I just wanted to thank everyone for their prayers and well wishes. It means so much to us to have such wonderful family and friends that support us on a constant basis, but especially in our time of need. We love you all!!!!

2 comments:

Alisa said...

Most people are ok to go back to work quicker than the doctors note says. I am sure he will be great, he is after all a smart cookie. Glad everything went smoothly.

Unknown said...

Glad everything turned out okay and he was able to get it taken care of. I got your text, but didn't know what was going on, and sadly, I have no idea how to text. LOL Tell him we hope he gets better fast!