I know this is a bit of backtracking, but I just wanted to catch up in order.
I finished the semester on 12/17. It was a grueling 4 months, mainly because I was taking an Algebra class (yuck!). I am not naturally good at math by any stretch of the imagination, but I worked my tail end off to pull out an A in there, so my 4.0 still stands. YAY! My other classes were Oceanography (where I didn't learn anything about the ocean! My professor was a geologist, so the entire class was about rocks. I don't think it gets any more boring than that.) and Health & Wellness (My professor was amazing! Our final exam consisted of getting a box and putting 10 things or pics of things in it that are important to you and present it to the class. Easiest A I've ever gotten!)
I've never had to work so hard or study so much in my life, but it helped me really buckle down and learn to study. Heck, I used to sleep in class in high school and still wound up with A's, so I've never had to learn how to study or budget my time for projects/homework/etc. The highlight of the semester was my project for Health on RP (Retinitis Pigmentosa). I chose this topic because my dad has this disease. (It's a degenerative eye disease where you initially lose night vision, followed by your peripheral vision, causing tunnel vision that gradually closes in until you are completely blind, usually by the age of 50.) I learned so much about it that it really helped me to be more grateful for what little vision my dad still has. Growing up, I had every reason to believe my dad would never see me graduate or get married. He should have gone completely blind over 14 years ago. It is truly a miracle that he still has vision, as limited as it is. When I present this to my class, I showed them these two pictures to demonstrate the difference between what the average person sees in comparison to what someone with RP sees.
What we see:
What my dad sees:
Pretty major difference, right? I also put together a demonstration with black-out goggles with tiny holes drilled in them so that you can try to get around while only able to see what a person with RP sees. I still have the demo if anyone wants to give it a try. It was a big hit with my class.
So, now I have two whole semesters behind me. YAY! I have lots more to blog about as well (Christmas, New Years, etc.), but one thing at a time.


5 comments:
Congrats on the grades
Don't know if this ever came up when we lived there but Jayne has RP. Its progressed to the point where she cannot drive much anymore. Her Dad and 3 of her other siblings have it. Unknown at this point how many of our kids will have it. I still can't believe that there is no real treatment for it.
Congrats on those impressive grades! I bet everyone was extremely interested in your RP project! Brilliant!
I like your new blog header. Gorgeous picture of you of course!!!
Way to go!! I bet the project about RP was very interesting. The header is awesome--you and Brandon look great!
Post a Comment